The Secret World

Ronus

JFF Member
So..... With me not paying attention and realizing this weekend was an open beta weekend... I didn't attempt to get a key until yesterday morning, and with the download, install, something about Mom's and BBQ's going on :D I didn't get a chance to jump in it until ~5:00PM EST last evening. I played on/off until ~1:00AM.

Overall, I will say it was.... OK, not great, but not bad by far. I am aware that the current tutorial in game was put there just for the Beta's, and the final tutorial will be changed/upgraded. The lack of "quest hubs" took a little to get used to and was a nice change. I never ran out of quests/missions to do, some of them were the normal kill x number of y (at this stage "y" was zombies :p) The tiering of missions was nice, and the fact that you could phone in the end of the quests, instead of having to return was very nice.

The combat was nice as well. Like GW2, you could tab target and attack that mob and splash damage would hit those next to them. Also, if there was a group in front of you, you could just set off an ability and it would automatically hit the closest target, or if it was an AOE spell it would hit them all. I went with Katana/Blood. Imo, it was a nice mix of ranged and melee abilities. It took a little bit of reading to figure out the AP's and SP's but they were somewhat straight forward.

Crafting had no intro or tutorials, I had to look to the forums for info. And of course you can't disassemble "white" weapons, it has to be green or better. I didn't find that out until I sold 4 or 5 green weapons to the vendor - which is when I found out that there is no buyback from the vendor. So even though I had ~30 pieces of differing assembly items in my backpack, I had nothing that could make anything. For someone who likes to craft, this looks like a very interesting crafting game.

Overall, it's a game I probably will not buy. With D3 releasing tomorrow, and GW2 already pre-purchased, I have 2 "non-subscription" based games that I enjoy. It's hard to justify a $10-$15 month sub for something that isn't mind blowing great (for me at least). I will try whatever remaining Betas that I can get in to - to give it a fair shake, but from the 5 or 6 hours, not sure anything will change for me.

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
I didn't realize it was an open beta or I would've given it a try. Good point about GW2 and D3 though... I wasn't really looking forward to D3, but it may be worth a shot since I won't have any subs to maintain any time soon.

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
I thought it was only open to those that pre-ordered? I guess not! I agree with Ronus's review there. There are better games that don't have subs coming out.

Ronus

JFF Member
Same with me for D3, I never played I or II so I had no interest in it. My nephew is a huge Diablo fan and he was non stop ranting about D3 coming out. It didn't help that I got into the closed Beta and he didn't :p Although I was a nice uncle and let him play my account :) What I did play I enjoyed. It's a nice dungeon diving, loot grabbing, monster smashing game :D In short, for me at least, it will make a great game to spend some time here and there just obliterating demons!!! The fact that there was no sub for it made it an easy decision.

I thought it was only open to those that pre-ordered? I guess not! I agree with Ronus's review there. There are better games that don't have subs coming out.
Everyone who pre-ordered was entered. The other ways were to get to 650 points in their Secret War game, or to snag a key from an online site.
http://www.gamespot.com/event/codes/secret-world-pc/
They had keys still available yesterday morning - that's where I grabbed one.

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Oh okay, that's what it was. Also, as far as Diablo....I pre-ordered Torchlight 2 for $20, that'll be my Diablo lol at a much cheaper box cost. It's not out yet, however, so I guess that's the perk to those that ordered D3.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting Ronus! Both myself and Peace have preordered, so we'll probably give it a shot again. We don't want to play it too much yet though, so mostly I'll be logging in to see what's changed in general, but probably not play a whole lot.

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
I got a beta key from 10ton but I can't get my password reset on the tsw site.... we'll see what happens.

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
I got an email from TSW that says they're going to allow us "general testers" to play with the public weekend people this weekend, SO if anybody is playing this weekend I'll be around Saturday night/Sunday to play with ya =)

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Made a new TSW account since I can't get a password reset from them...
I'll probably be off and on Saturday and parts of Sunday.
Any servers or usernames we should be aware of?

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
I haven't played on the beta weekend servers before so I'm not sure if there's going to be more than one server or not...

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I haven't played with the unwashed masses before... What DO I DO NOW?! ;)

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Put on a hazmat suit and pray... or shoot stuff, whatever works.

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Made a couple toons so far, "Apoc-00" on Illuminati - "Faded-Leopard" on Dragon, both on w/e server Lisha mentioned today... something w/ a G in it. :P

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Chimera? And I did confirm today that regardless of faction you all end up in Kingsmouth to quest. My toon is named Sylphy.

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
lol Could be Chimera... C... G... whatever. The top one on the list I think.

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
So yeah... I rather liked the game during the beta weekend. It's kind of weird and has some design elements I'm not terribly fond of but it was rather entertaining.
I'd previously written this one off because of GW2 and the like, but having played it finally I'm back on the fence. I think I'd get my money's worth if I bought it but due to other recent acquisitions, and the addition of a sub, I'd have to cease pretty much all other purchases. :P
We'll see!

(looks like I've posted 4 times in a row now, I guess I thought you guys could use a little spam)

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
I enjoyed the game on the first beta, both Peace and myself preordered and will be playing at release. =) Which is why we didn't play this weekend, didn't want to spoil it for ourselves. =)