Switching combat modes question

Alchymia

JFF Member
Ok, Bethesda pissed me off by making skyrim a console port simply because there is no real easy way that I've found to switch between spells, ranged combat, and sword and board (apart from the stupid 2Gb/4Gb limits)... I hate having to stop combat to load spells on hands, etc...

Does anyone have a work-around or better options they use? I currently have a Sidewinder X6 keyboard with macro capability so macros are an option. I have not used macros yet as this is the first game I've had with this keyboard (and first system).... any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
What you do is make something your favorite.

Then, press the favorites key, in the list that pops up, mouse over say your sword and press a number on the keyboard, like number 1. That'll assign that specific sword to number 1, etc.

Alchymia

JFF Member
Does it work if I want to switch dual cast healing into fire/Lightning L/R hands and then to sword/board? I thought that just equipped whatever selected into right hand... (I'm currently away from my gaming PC so I can't test it out unfortunately)...

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
You can set what's in your right and left hands, yeah. It's... weird and I never really did figure it out. But as I pretty much only use a bow, it wasn't really an issue for me.

Duncan

JFF Member
Additionally... Once an item (spell, etc) is in your Favorites list, you can assign hotkeys to them... mouse-over the hotlisted item and press the hotkey you wish to assign.

Alchymia

JFF Member
Can you hotkey a spell to a specific hand? I want to have two different spells in my hands and switch to a dual heal... does this require 3 hotkeys (one for each spell in each hand and one for heal)? I was looking to see if anyone had a macro or something written out that would switch to dual heal, cast for x seconds, and switch back to dual wielding spells... or variations thereof...

Duncan

JFF Member
the hotkey defaults to the left-hand...
If you have that spell in the left hand already, then pressing the hotkey also places it in the right hand.

So, say you want to have:
Right: Bound Bow (hotkey 1)
Left: Summon Dremora Lord (hotkey 2)

you'd press; 1-1-2

The first press of [1] places Bound Bow in your left hand.
The second press of [1] places Bound Bow in both hands.
The press of [2] replaces your left hand Bound Bow with Summon Dremora Lord

Shields always go into your left hand.

You can see me make use of it in this video: http://www.livestream.com/venomslust/video?clipId=pla_4bdd8dec-d69c-4cdd-b9b4-f255139c3f72

Alchymia

JFF Member
Thanks! So I believe I can record a quick macro with my keyboard to load heal both hands, cast, and reset with my favorite spell combination afterwards.
Thanks a bunch Duncan!

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
It was rather frustrating how the hot-keys wouldn't track which hand they were in at the time of assignment. It was even worse if you used two melee weapons and magic because the melee weapons would just replace each other in the right hand if you had anything in the left. I think at one point I ended up using two bound swords instead - the hot-keys behaved themselves and I saved some carry weight.

My main character used a shield+axe or a bow, since shield sticks in the left hand regardless that toon had no hot-key issues at all.

Good luck with your macro.

Alchymia

JFF Member
Yea, I really f'ing hate the UI. I can't wait for decent (and complete) UI mods to come out.

Chris

JFF Member
I plugged in an Xbox 360 controller and all was right in the world. Trust me... If you have one try it, you won't go back.

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
I tried it for awhile. The menus were far easier to with... But, I really suck bad at controlling an FPS style game with a controller. I always ended up going back to keyboard and mouse so I could aim properly. With my skill level the difficulty would have to be dropped a few settings.
Still I agree, it did to seem to play better overall with an xbox controller.

Alchymia

JFF Member
Stupid porting....
They should design a game that has to be dumbed down for console rather than designing a game for console that lacks the intelligence for a pc... so if I wanted to play with a controller, I'd play on my less-than-optimal-and-underpowered PS3 (compared to the new PC)... that and aiming with a controller makes me feel like a high school kid trying to be all cool with being good at Halo back in the day...