[Waiting for User] RATS "unlocked" version

Kademlia

7D2D RAT Supporter
I believe RATS is set to not take up too much CPU because it is also designed for local usage on a server. Is there a way to have a remote only RATS that has no CPU limit as I am using a dedicated machine for RATS separate from the game server.

I am assuming this because it takes a while for commands to run sometimes. The CPU never spikes even when overloading it with commands. I have tried to run it locally as well and same results. Not sure if this is game behavior or RATS.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
I think what you're actually talking about is the command buffer. Are you experiencing that when a command is sent, that it doesn't happen for several seconds, etc? If so, this is the command buffer.

Basically, if there are a lot of commands happening or active users playing on your server, then you don't really see this issue. Otherwise, the commands get buffered and then processed slower. This is something I do want to improve, but as its usually only noticeable if there are low current player counts, etc... it hasn't been too much of a problem.

If I'm wrong and this isn't what you're talking about, please let me know. If I'm right, please give me instances where this is a pain point for you and I'll see what I can do about helping solve those (either through doing things differently yourself with RAT, or on the code end).

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Ohh, BTW to be clear. There is nothing in RAT that is specifically limiting the CPU it uses, etc. I just try to keep things generally well written enough that it doesn't require a lot of CPU, but it will use all of the CPU it needs.

Kademlia

7D2D RAT Supporter
This make sense. Kind of like a network card with a really low buffer set. My server is usually low population. Now I understand why sometimes it runs quicker if the server is busier than normal. I figured this is something with 7 Days . It is so hard to tell sometimes because the game is still in Alpha and not 100% optimized.

I have even noticed recently that commands (and server FPS) completely separate from RATS runs better in Windows version of 7 Days server than the linux version recently when it used to be the opposite. I have also noticed that the 7 Days server does not utilize all of your hardware if you have a much newer CPU such as 10th gen i7. Hope this gets better as TFP develop more. Spawning 1000 zombies and the CPU sits at 25% causing the server to run at 5 FPS instead of utilizing 100% of the CPU. There might be a limit per player too since I was only testing with me logged in.

Anyway thanks for the info. Just wanted to throw that out there.