New board game simulator/creator Kickstarter

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tabletopia/tabletopia-the-digital-platform-for-board-games

I haven't decided yet if I am going to help fund this (it's already hit it's funding goal in a day), but I'm still looking into it. I want to create my own game and whatnot. But anyway, check it out, it might be something you're interested it. =) It's basically a much better (supposedly) system than Tabletop Simulator. This already has 100 games done for it.

Anyway, like I said, I want to make my own game and this looks like it might make that easier to do. I need to check licensing and whatnot.

Malsirian

JFF Member
Damn! Thanks for sharing that! If it works as well as they portray it in the video it'll be amazing!! Both for playing and creating! My wife and I have a weekly board game session with my brother but he's 2K miles away in Coeur d'alene ID. We use Skype and FaceTime and have been able to work that out pretty well but some games are just not doable. Tabletopia will be a great solution. I wonder if they'll enable video chat? Anyway thanks again! Lemme know if you need a play tested for your game! We play a lot of em. :)

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Damn! Thanks for sharing that! If it works as well as they portray it in the video it'll be amazing!! Both for playing and creating! My wife and I have a weekly board game session with my brother but he's 2K miles away in Coeur d'alene ID. We use Skype and FaceTime and have been able to work that out pretty well but some games are just not doable. Tabletopia will be a great solution. I wonder if they'll enable video chat? Anyway thanks again! Lemme know if you need a play tested for your game! We play a lot of em. :)
They said video chat is coming, but at a later date. Voice chat is coming first.

As for my game, it's still in development, but I'm hoping that such software like this, will help me get going on it. Time will tell, I haven't KS this yet, but we'll see how they answer some of my questions I asked. Specifically around my own copyright/rights in general. I don't want to publish something and have it turn out they own it now. Kind of like back in the days when you'd register a domain name, and they would own it, not you.

Malsirian

JFF Member
we'll see how they answer some of my questions I asked. Specifically around my own copyright/rights in general. I don't want to publish something and have it turn out they own it now. Kind of like back in the days when you'd register a domain name, and they would own it, not you.
Yeah a valid concern. Lots of places work off that model. If you don't mind, I'd be interested to know what you find out.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Yeah a valid concern. Lots of places work off that model. If you don't mind, I'd be interested to know what you find out.
I don't mind at all, I'll post when I hear back. Hopefully they've replied by the time I get home (as I can't check it from work).

Carbin

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
It looks interesting I am not sure I will fund but it might be worth it if it will work. I have seen a lot board games that where made just for 1 game have a lot of bugs and or just a lot of issues. I do hope it will work.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
@Malsirian

Here are their replies. I think this clears it up some, but not as clear as I'd like.

Tabletopia [author] 17 hours ago
@Trekkan For example, Apple's AppStore agreement says same way - quarterly reports and delay of payments for 3 months, but they are paying faster. Usually.
In our case - we should gather payments from all platforms - Steam, AppStore, Google Play and direct payments via terminals, pay checks, e-payment systems. It could take a time to gather them all and deduct all fees.
300 dollars minimum payout is made to avoid situations when we should pay banking feed which exceed payment amount.

Tabletopia [author] 17 hours ago
@Trekkan the agreement and EULA which user agrees when publishing something on Tabletopia, user have right to revoke rights without any problem and Tabletopia simply removing user's content from the system. So, yes, author is retaining his rights.
Actually, it's still payout every 3 months, because after user have got his check there are one month until next report and 3 months until next check. But these 2 months is "Up to 2 months", so wire should be made faster - it's depends on amount of payments and speed of account guys and how fast platforms are sending cash to us.

Malsirian

JFF Member
Yeah not super clear is it? They do say the user retains his rights though. Would have to look at the EULA close for sure.

They have a decent list of publishers though and there is no way they are giving up ownership of anything to get on there.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Yeah not super clear is it? They do say the user retains his rights though. Would have to look at the EULA close for sure.

They have a decent list of publishers though and there is no way they are giving up ownership of anything to get on there.
Yeah, my main concern is if you build it on their platform, not port it there. If they then attempt to keep rights to it or something, it's probably ok and by the time I did anything it'll be more clear. So I'm not too worried.