Greed Monger OR Utopian Settlers

Ronus

JFF Member
They are thinking of possibly changing the name, based on forum feedback apparantly.

Read about it in the Kickstarter comment section here: (Update #19 )
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/appleton/greed-monger-a-crafting-focused-sandbox-mmorpg/posts

And on their forum, here: (it's a poll)
http://www.greedmonger.com/forum/showthread.php?400-Greed-Monger-or-Utopian-Settlers

Personally I wasn't fond of Greed Monger, but I think I like Utopian Settlers even less :D it sounds like a Facebook game.

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
haha I tried to sign up to the forums and it said I was denied because I'm a spammer.

Ronus

JFF Member
If you are using a web email (hotmail, yahoo etc..) they have an issue with that. There should be a little pop up box on the right side of the main page saying something to that effect.
Here is a forum post by them about that - Can't Register? Not a Spammer? *READ*

Regarding the name:

Here is my post on their forums about the name change:

Ronus said:
I wasn't really keen on Greed Monger when I saw it, it didn't seem to have a "pop" about it.

But... I think "Utupion Settlers" sounds too Facebookish. So, with that said, a couple things to think about maybe.

1 - I do not think any change should happen until the Kickstarter campaign has ended - I really think that might be a bad move to change a name right in the middle of a "fundraiser"
2 - As was mentioned, a one word name may give it a better shot. What about just "Monger(s)"?

mon·ger (mnggr, mng-) n.
1. A dealer in a specific commodity. Often used in combination: an ironmonger.
2. A person promoting something undesirable or discreditable. Often used in combination: a scandalmonger; a warmonger.
tr.v. mon·gered, mon·ger·ing, mon·gers​
To peddle.
In the end it's your game, do what you think is best. But understand, while I will wear a black shirt that says "Greed Monger" I probably won't wear one that says "Utopian Settlers" :D And no matter the name, my guildies and I WILL be Mongering in the game and having a blast!!!

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Thank you, Ronus. Sent him an email. I think the guy who said the name Utopian Settlers sounds like an Evony ripoff has it right. I like putting Utopia in the name, and Greed Mongers doesn't give me any indication of what the game is really about, so I like your idea of just Mongers or something like that.

Edit:
Okay, he set up my account fairly quickly so I weighed in.

Last edited:

Deuce

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
I agree and thought that the alternative name was even less appealing, so I voted to stick with the original. It's too bad they didn't seem open to taking suggestions, or at least offer several options.

Zynn

JFF Member
Greed Monger stands out more, and also sets a tone for the game, that it may be cutthroat. Utopian Settlers sounds very generic and bland..

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
While I really don't like the current name, given the two choices, I voted to keep the name.