Technical Issue - Assistance Requested

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
So I gave my brother my old nVidia 760 and he gets no video signal.

From the start: his PC and my previous PC were virtually identical - same processor, graphics card, ram, etc. My machine went through 2 video card upgrades, the final being the 760 he now has.

Last week he upgraded to Windows 10, everything still worked fine. When he switched video cards the monitor would no longer receive signal. He couldn't see the boot process or anything. After switching back to his old card the problem persisted...

After trying everything we found on the internet to no avail he decided to start over with Win 7. His machine works now, with the old card, but not the new one.
The 760 went from my machine into the plastic sleeve it came in, then to his house and into the PC. I thought maybe it got ruined somewhere along the way by a discharge or whatever but he's skeptical since his other did the same thing and now works again...

Any of you have experience with odd problems like this? Any ideas?

Trying to get an old PC gamer back into the fold. ;)

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Only thing that it sounds like to me is that when replacing the card, it's not seating correctly into the slot, and the last time, it did. Otherwise, I would check that it's not reverting to the onboard video (assuming the motherboard has video out on it). Sometimes when a MB gets no signal from the expected card, it'll flip to the onboard video and from then on, it's the default video until you plug a cable into that port, get into the bios and change it. Other than that, I can't think of any other reasons it would fail in the way you described.

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
I realized I left out some information.

His mobo has no on-board video.

He's already tried different cables, different outputs, and different monitors.

Worth a shot to double check the seating but I doubt that's the problem.
It's a strange issue so I don't really expect a solution but figured it wouldn't hurt to pick some brains.

complexmath

JFF Administrator
Staff member
JFF Supporter
It's an obvious thing, but I bet the 760 has two power connectors on the top edge and his old card maybe only had one? Are you sure he wired it up correctly?

Dsan

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Yup, third thing I asked. :P The old card actually required more power and had more power inputs as well.