Say whaat, I'm in Melbourne Australia!

Rawrr

JFF Member
So I landed yesterday at 05:50!

After 3 flights, about 26 hours and 15,000 miles or so.

Has been over 30C so far, close to 36/37C today, hot.

Went to the beach this morning, back at the hostel now, still jet lagged so pretty tired, kinda want to crash out.

Hopefully I'll get some more interesting photos soon!

Alicia

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Don't get killed by any of the cute and cuddly and horrible wildlife!

Rawrr

JFF Member
Wow this seems like so long ago, I've almost been in Australia for 6 months! and I am still loving it.

Just a bit of a overdue update, after Melbourne I drove around 3000km along the bottom of Australia to the Western Capital, Perth.
Visited Adelaide and few other places along the way.

I was in Perth for about 1.5 months, saw kangaroos, went to Rottnest Island and saw Quokka's (cute little kangaroo/rat creatures) I then went on an amazing road trip up the West coast to the Northern Capital, Darwin.

I visited so many different places along the way, spent time on a beach that shared my surname, drove through a town with the same name as where I lived back in England, lots of snorkeling, chilling in the water by the beach with wild dolphins, sting rays, visiting many national parks, swimming under waterfalls and sleeping outside watching shooting stars.

That road trip took about 4 weeks I think and was over 5000km.

Unfortunately my camera broke half way through that trip :( Bloody sand got inside the len and now it won't open or close correctly.
But I now have a GoPro I'm looking forward to trying out.

Last edited:

Rawrr

JFF Member
All that above was over 2 months ago!

I have now been in Darwin for over 2 months, lots of chilling out down by the water, going to markets, going to an event on the beach called the beer can regatta, where they make boats out of beer cans and race them.
Going on a river cruise and seeing crocodiles jumping out of the water.

Oh and once I found out about the Alpha console, a lot of gaming :P Completed Mafia 2, Saints Row The Third, got a few achievements on Team Fortress 2 and racked up a load of hours on 7D2D.

I have now being offered a job on a farm in the outback in the state New South Wales.

I will be going on another road trip to get there, I will be leaving Darwin tomorrow and driving directly down the centre of Australia, going through Alice Springs and seeing all the sights along the way.

I will then get to Adelaide for a couple days and then head into the outback (If I wasn't getting a lift, i'd need to get a train from Adelaide to Broken Hill and then a bus to Wilcannia for the work people to then come pick me up and take me to the work place haha)

I will then be at this job hopefully for 3 months (a requirement to be able to apply for a second year visa)
I'll be doing fencing work, using machinery, mustering on motorbikes, it'll most likely be pretty hard and long work, but hopefully a great experience.
I get all my food cooked for me, so I hope it's nice food :D

Last edited:

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Crazy adventure man, and really cool! I wish I was the kind of person to do such things, but... I'm not. hehe But really cool and thanks for sharing with us!

Rawrr

JFF Member
Shame I didn't do my trip to America as I would have visited anyone that would want me to xD

That would have been interesting!

Rawrr

JFF Member
Drove through the centre of Australia, visited the big rock in the middle, Ulura.
Hopefully I'll get some photos posted when I get settled again.

Think we've drove like 4000k in the past week an a bit.

Currently in South Australia, in a little Port town about 300k north of Adelaide.
Having to hang around here until tomorrow as we blew a tyre and need a new spare.

Hopefully tomorrow we will be back on the road and get to Adelaide, I then need to get a train and bus to my next destinations for a job.

Rawrr

JFF Member
Made it to Adelaide today, South Australian Capital.

Tomorrow I will hopefully book a bus to Broken hill, 7 hours, then another 2.45 hour bus journey at 3:45AM, too then be picked up and drove another 2 hours to get to where I'll hopefully be working for the next 3 months...

Quite likely I won't have any wifi there so buhu.
If not, you shall hopefully hear from me after 3 months or maybe I will get internet signal on my phone.

Rawrr

JFF Member
Hey guys!

I wanted to update this as it has been a while.

So a bit of a recap,
I started in Melbourne (Capital of Victoria) Feb 2015,
drove to Adelaide (Capital of South Australia) for a week,
drove along the south of Australia for couple weeks,
got to Perth (Capital of Western Australia), stayed there for 1.5 months, (March)
then went on an awesome 4/5 week road trip all the way up the West coast
Got to Darwin (Capital of the Northern Territory) and stayed there for 2 months. (June)

Got offered a job in the middle of the New South Wales outback on a sheep and cattle farm which is pretty much where my last post left off... (End of August)

I ended up staying there for almost 4 months, pretty much zero phone signal or even WiFi.
I did a lot of fencing work, taking down old fences and putting up new ones using home made equipment for the job which was pretty interesting.

I did a fair bit of mustering sheep on a motorbike, that was pretty awesome as I had only ever rode a on road bike before.

Worked a lot in the yards with sheep and cattle, doing lamb and calve marking where you have to tag there ears, brand them etc, very eye opening and hard work.

Lots of wild life, sheep, cattle, goats, kangaroos, birds, snakes, bearded dragons, sand iguanas.

I had so many photos but they were all on my phone which broke, so gutted about that! :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After all that I headed back to Melbourne, stayed there for the last 1.5 months of my visa, just chilling, spent Christmas day on the beach and having BBQs with friends.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rawrr's next travel adventure..... Rawrr and Duckie visit SEA!

After Melbourne I flew to Thailand and reunited with my girlfriend from back home who flew out, we hadn't seen each other for a year while I was in Australia.

We are currently now travelling around South East Asia together.

I know I really suck on the uploading photos side of things and I am sorry for that.
I hope to sort that out, I might make an Instagram account for my travel photos, both current and previous trips; not sure if anyone uses it, I never have...

Deuce

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
That is pretty remarkable Rawr, I am jealous! What you did in Australia sounds like the experience of a lifetime. Keep it going as long as you can bud!

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Pretty awesome Rawrr!! The new media gallery here on the website is much easier to use, and you can set it so the public can view it too. Up to you. =)