So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

Risks of running a public server...

Discussion in 'General' started by Encryptid, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Encryptid

Encryptid New Member

Hey guys, so I've got my network tweaked and my server up and running 7D2D. So far, I only have a select group of trusted friends playing on a password protected server. I feel like the game is so much better with the PVP aspect and I would like to open the server up to the public. I've done this before with devastating results. Last time we ran a public server it was riddled with hackers who basically destroyed the game environment with TNT and were able to fly through the world and find everyone's underground base and destroy everything. Soon after EVERYONE bailed and we haven't had the same community since.

Is there anyway to keep this kind of crap from happening? I work all day and I can't be here to baby sit the server and make sure it isn't being hacked. How effective is the built-in anti-cheat? What else can I do, possibly with RAT to setup something to keep this to a minimum?

Thanks!

2. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

Its just as bad as it every was as far as I know. There's only a few things you can really do. Actively admin the server (or have someone else that is there when you aren't). Be proactive on your bans (some people have banned all of China for example), etc. You can do things like remove TNT from the game (or whatever the problem is), and then add it back in later if you want.

But really, if you're going to remove the password, you need active admins, even if that's just players with the ability to ban someone. You can set that up in the permissions so that's all they can do if that's what you want, etc.

RAT also has a backup system that you can setup to help revert to a specific state if there was a problem as well. So if you backed up every hour say, the worst that people can lose is if they were playing during that hour. Still sucks, but... if you're mostly gaining from having an open server, its just the cost of entry really.

Sorry I can't give you better news/information, but... that's what I've got. =)

3. Encryptid

Encryptid New Member

A while back there was supposedly an exploit or a hack where people could locate any players bedroll, therefore finding their base even when hidden. I think this, coupled with the ability to break blocks and gain entry regardless of land-claim settings is the biggest concern.