Looking for a new monitor

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
So, I'm looking for a new monitor and could use some input from peeps. =)

The conditions I have are:
  • G-Sync
  • IPS
That's it. So, does anyone have any recommendations? I've been reading reviews and whatnot, but wanted to get your input as well before making a decision.

I'd like a curved monitor, but as I don't only game on my PC, I have some concerns as to how well that works out when doing other things than gaming. I don't want graphics to look warped, etc. No idea. Anyway so any input on curved vs. flat monitors would be great too!

complexmath

JFF Administrator
Staff member
JFF Supporter
I have this 24" 1080p AOC monitor and love it. I don't think you can find a curved monitor at less than 27", and that's into the 2K+ range which in turn means a super GPU (seems like you want a 980ti to run above 1080p on Ultra).

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
I have this 24" 1080p AOC monitor and love it. I don't think you can find a curved monitor at less than 27", and that's into the 2K+ range which in turn means a super GPU (seems like you want a 980ti to run above 1080p on Ultra).
I checked and can't tell if that's a TN, IPS or something else display?

Also, this is the one I'm currently considering: View: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B0173PEX20

The pipe dream is: View: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-UltraWide-Widescreen-X34/dp/B016GNX4SE

One of the things that I want to do is be able to have the clarity without the lag, I think it'll help with my vertigo issues as well.

My video card specs say that it'll basically support two monitors at that resolution at the same time at 60Hz. So... I think it'll work fine anyway.

complexmath

JFF Administrator
Staff member
JFF Supporter
It's a TN screen. I decided on it after reading a Tom's Hardware review. I considered 1440p at the time, but from what people were saying it sounded like the 970 may struggle a bit on Ultra at that resolution, so I decided to play it safe. If you decide on the AOC, be aware that there's a non g-sync version with almost the same product ID and last I checked, Amazon had them mixed up. NewEgg is the safe bet for that one.

I will say that g-sync in general has definitely helped with my motion sickness. I couldn't quantify how much, but for games where the issue was framerate-related (as opposed to headbob-related), I no longer walk away from my computer feeling a bit off.

Malsirian

JFF Member
You're pipe dream monitor looks amazing. I really want my next monitor to be a curved ultra wide. Last time I looked there weren't any with G-sync but that was quite a while ago. Maybe if I put off my upgrade long enough they will be cheap enough to actually buy one. :)

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
I ended up going with the non-pipe dream and so far... OMG, so nice! =) I had no idea graphics could look so good!