So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

Internet is giving me a hard time......

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by cyvis, Feb 16, 2017.

1. cyvis

cyvis New Member JFF Member

Good morning JFF people. I'm just curious about web browsing and DIY tips. I've been getting my hands dirty with my PC. Setting up gaming server and trying to optimize my gaming/working environment.

I was used to Google as a search engine. Now i've started to figure out that if you wanna BUY something, google is awesome. If you want to tweak your PC (I.E. using PC IR features to control Home theatre) then my usual search tricks/sites/ressources are no help. And I'm getting pretty frustrated. Been setting-up my pc to my liking for the past week and I've come to this conclusion: There must be a less traveled road, sites or even better communities for people who want a bit more out of their computer.

Any and all comments, suggestions and tips are welcomed!

Have a good one!
    Cyvis (Ben)

2. cyvis

Lol this is what my search looks like right now (PC remote control infrared -mobile, -smartphone, -android) and I'm still getting everything I don't want. Once in a while I find something almost useful.....but posts are from 2009......not really what I call Up to date info. Is there a way to save search parameters (I.E. NEVER show me stuff from before 2000). I can't believe I'm the only one who is going through this.

Anyway, that bit of whining felt good ;P.

3. cyvis

btw, when I log in this site, nest to my picture is says : Messages 3, But as far as I can see there is Messages menu. now messages is that: personal messages adressed to me, replies to my posts, quick chat messages or sent emails. If messages seems to have been sent to me how do I access them? Thank you

4. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

I'd recommend www.tomshardware.com.

The area of the website next to your picture are your website stats. So you have a 3, because you've posted 3 messages. =)

Also, here's a massive list I found doing a websearch.

Best All-Purpose Sites: News, Reviews, Benchmarks

TechPowerUp: One of our favorite sites for benchmarks. They test their graphics cards on a huge range of games, and we’ve found them to be thorough and reliable over the years.

Tom’s Hardware: One of the biggest names in hardware news and reviews, and for good reason. The forums are also very active and contain a wealth of knowledge.

AnandTech: Another highly regarded name in the hardware review space. Anandtech’s Bench tool is very useful for comparing performance of parts.

Hardware Secrets: Excellent hardware reviews. They dive into the details of the hardware. Want to know who made that power supply, and how accurate the specs are?

Bit-Tech: Reviews and benchmarks from a British perspective! Another great source for quality benchmarks.

Kitguru: Solid benchmarks. Honest reviews.

Guru3D: Great photos with their reviews. Huge list of comparisons in their benchmarks.

PC Perspective: Great reviews, plus a top-notch YouTube channel and podcast.

Legit Reviews: Not only legit reviews, but legit benchmarks. Also some occasional surprises, like underwear reviews. The important thing is they use lots of data to back up their reviews, regardless of the product.

Hexus: Venerable publication from the U.K. with thorough reviews and detailed, visually appealing benchmarks.

TechReport: Well-respected reviews and benchmarks.

TweakTown: Tons of tech reviews, including PC hardware and beyond. One of the few places to provide a 0-100 rating on at least some of their hardware reviews.

HardwareCanucks: More great benchmarks, especially for 1440p and 4K gaming. A nice resource, if you can look past the fact that they’re Canadian. (Just kidding, guys!)

HardOCP: More quality reviews and benchmarks, and a good forum.

Maximum PC: More of a general PC news site, but that’s not to say they don’t have excellent reviews with solid benchmarks.

Sites with a Specific Focus

CPU World: An amazing resource for information on CPUs, including a great CPU comparison tool, like this.

PassMark CPU Benchmark: A pure benchmark comparison, but excellent range of CPUs.

PassMark GPU Benchmark: The same pure benchmark (no real world comparisons), but still a very wide range of GPUs.

Videocardz.com: Quick, easy specifications for every graphics card on the market.

GameGPU.ru: A Russian site with some excellent GPU benchmarks. They’ll sometimes have benchmarks that no one else has, period. Parts of the site are very outdated, but the latest stuff will be on the main page.

TFT Central: Anexcellent resource for monitor reviews — possibly the best monitor reviews around.

Prad.de: A fantastic German-language resource for monitor reviews. Unfortunately, the English version of the site has not been updated for years, but your browser should be able to translate the German version.

Game Debate: An awesome site for data on games and GPU benchmarks. The site can be a little tricky to navigate, but some of the information is invaluable. For an example of their game data, check out their page on the Witcher 3.

RealHardTechX’s PSU Review Database: Is your power supply dependable, or is it going to jeopardize all your expensive hardware? Get all the basic information here.

JonnyGURU: Some of the best PSU reviews.

Hardware Insights: More excellent PSU reviews

FrostyTech: Some of the best heatsink reviews.

SilentPCReview: Great case reviews.

AnandTech’s SSD Benchmarks: See how almost every SSD on the market stacks up against the competition.

5. cyvis

:screamcat: oh my, what an answer! Thank you so very much for the info. I will be looking carefully through that list.