HELP Server not showing on server list when using CAT v06.

Draugr

Hi.

I hope you can help me with this. I've been running a Conan Exiles server since the day it was released. I launch the game from a batch file with the following information...

ConanSandboxServer.exe -log

I have not changed or even added any port information in my start.bat or *.ini files. Whatever default ports that Conan and Steam require are already opened and forwarded.

When using the above (non-CAT) process my server shows up fine in the server listing within the game client and players can join my server.

NOW.... With CAT I am having problems in that my server never shows and thus players can't join the game.

If I do a DIRECT CONNECT to my server IP, I do connect, but that doesn't help those who generally access the server from the game client server listing. Again, the server works fine when not using CAT.

I'll attach a screenshot showing my settings in CAT. Please be aware that all 3 Ports 27016, 7777, 7778 have been opened as both TCP and UDP ports to the internal 192.168.x.x server IP.

If you can see what I might be doing wrong, please let me know.

Thanks,
John

CAT PROBLEM.png

Last edited:

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
That is a very odd problem... however, what you can try is uncheck everything but the "Log" startup parameter, and remove all of the settings in "Startup Parameteres". The server will boot just as it does from the batch file at that point and see how it goes. Meaning, there won't be any more command line parameters than you use now.

This is just a guess, but it might be that since you have configured your server via the .INI files already, setting the command line parameters as well, is causing the server to not work right. This is just a guess, but... there is no need to specify the command line params if you have them setup in the .INI (that's how I do it as well).

I'm already working on an INI editor that should help, and then I'll be moving all of the command line parameters into another setup screen to only be used if you want to, and base everything from the INI files. Right now, I can't see a reason to use parameters and I'm not sure why they are even an option on the server.

Either way, let me know how it goes and I'll do what I can to help!

Draugr

Trekkan,

Thank You! So one issue down, now to the next. :)

I can now find my server and login from the client which is great, but CAT doesn't seem to be listing the in game player names nor does it display any global chat messages in the Player Chat Log. Any idea what might be keeping these two options from working?

Thanks Again,
John

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Trekkan,

Thank You! So one issue down, now to the next. :)

I can now find my server and login from the client which is great, but CAT doesn't seem to be listing the in game player names nor does it display any global chat messages in the Player Chat Log. Any idea what might be keeping these two options from working?

Thanks Again,
John
Glad that is now working for you. =)

Listing the player names, in your screenshot, you have the game port (7777), that should be the query port, 27016. Aaaaaand, saying that... I can see how you made that mistake, I'll update the label to correctly mean what it should be. ;)

Chat logs, require that you are running CAT on the same server (which you are), but they don't auto refresh. Clicking the refresh button in the upper right corner of the chat window will do that. I can add in an auto refresh, but honestly I'm hoping that the devs do the right thing and give us a way to connect to the server directly for that information as it comes in. As it is, CAT reads the current log file and parses out all of the chat information.

Draugr

Glad that is now working for you. =)

Listing the player names, in your screenshot, you have the game port (7777), that should be the query port, 27016. Aaaaaand, saying that... I can see how you made that mistake, I'll update the label to correctly mean what it should be. ;)

Chat logs, require that you are running CAT on the same server (which you are), but they don't auto refresh. Clicking the refresh button in the upper right corner of the chat window will do that. I can add in an auto refresh, but honestly I'm hoping that the devs do the right thing and give us a way to connect to the server directly for that information as it comes in. As it is, CAT reads the current log file and parses out all of the chat information.
Thanks again.

I'll check the server port and see if that resolves the issue. There are players on the server now, so I can't bring it down, but I'll get back to you on that.

As for the chat window, thanks for that heads up. It worked.

One final question. Is there a way to use CAT, or to easily create a program that can go through past logs and pull out only the chat messages? Not important, but I'm just curious if this could be done.

Thanks
John

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Thanks again.

I'll check the server port and see if that resolves the issue. There are players on the server now, so I can't bring it down, but I'll get back to you on that.

As for the chat window, thanks for that heads up. It worked.

One final question. Is there a way to use CAT, or to easily create a program that can go through past logs and pull out only the chat messages? Not important, but I'm just curious if this could be done.

Thanks
John
You don't have to restart the server to change that port, just change in the upper left corner, click Save, and then toggle the checkbox for the "Refresh player list" and it should update immediately.

Currently, CAT only looks at the current/active log, however if you'd like it to look through past logs, feel free to post it in the feature request forum. I don't know when I'll get to it, but I can guarantee if it isn't there, I'll forget about it. ;) Its good to have a list of features people want, because sometimes I get bored working on something and need a break from that part of the code, so I'll switch to something else I can hammer out quickly (and this should be pretty quick really).

Draugr

OK... I changed the port on the right side of the screen, the one that says Server Port above the Player list window. Still nothing showing. I put 27016 in that port field.

I keep getting ERROR getting player counts.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
OK... I changed the port on the right side of the screen, the one that says Server Port above the Player list window. Still nothing showing. I put 27016 in that port field.

I keep getting ERROR getting player counts.
Yeah, that means CAT is unable to hit the ip/port to get the player information. Also make sure that IP is correct as well (It probably is), but... trying to think of what else it might be since there really is only that IP and port and that's it. The viewer is totally separate from the rest of the server, so it should connect. Offhand, try changing the port to 27015 just to see if that works.

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
BINGO!!!!!

That did it!

Thanks a lot. :)
Excellent, was just a guess, but there seems to be a lot of weird going on with the servers and their network code. Meaning, confusion as to what ports and IPs are being used when.

Draugr

They definitely have a bunch of work to do fixing bugs, and adding features to the server-side code. Last night I lost 3 hours building on my server when I logged off then came back and every container in the game was empty. I had to revert back to a db backup from 3 hours earlier. Luckily no one was on for most of those 3 hours so little was lost other than my 3 hours of base building. LOL