So... we see you haven't signed up here on our website.  

Do you really want to sit here and be "Unregistered" all your life?  No, of course you don't!  So, click this here link and you'll take that all important first step into enlightenment! (or something, whatever...)

Food Question

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Thod, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Thod

Thod THUNDERLOINS!!!! JFF Member

I am helping a friend build out her restaurant. Of course not spelling the menu... but helping with all the ground work and stuff.

So what I would like to know is 2 things.

1. for a grilled cheese sandwhich other than cheese and bacon, what do you like on them?

2. Hot dogs- for a loaded hot dog what would you pile on top of it?

thanks for the feed back.

2. Trekkan

Trekkan JFF Administrator Staff Member

So... something that everyone says "NO WAY" to,until they try it...

Cut a hotdog length wise

Put some mashed potatoes down, lay the hotdog face up in them.

Add cheddar cheese on top.

Heat until its where you want it. (30 minutes on 350 usually).

And then.. grub! I like adding a little salt and pepper to it.

I know that's not exactly what you're looking for, but... seriously, you should try it. And if your friend makes millions, remember me. =)

3. Dsan

Dsan Active Member JFF Member JFF Supporter

Oooo hard questions. lol
    People can be pretty picky about both of those things...

Grilled Cheese was always a super simple thing for me, growing up. Cheese between 2 pieces of butted bread cooked on a griddle - and that's pretty much it. Not sure I've ever had any other variant actually.

For hot dogs I like Chicago and New York style but not much more than a good chili dog. Maybe a Chicago style dog without the sport peppers or salt?

So, I'm not really any help on this one. I guess the main thing is to use higher quality products than someone could easily find on their own or come up with a different presentation.

4. Thod

Yea we have a variant of Chicago. We are also gunna do deep fried dogs. They are called rippers.

5. Alicia

Alicia Well-Known Member JFF Member JFF Supporter

My hot dog idea is already mentioned heh, but as for grilled cheese. I like caprese grilled cheese. Sourdough bread, mozzarella cheese, Roma tomato slices, a drizzle of balsamic and maybe a green, like fresh spinach just for color. Also, regular grilled cheese I can't have without cheddar and tomato soup.

6. Thod

We are gunna do something of a pesto GC

7. Chris

Chris Member JFF Member

Bacon for all of the above.

8. Malsirian

Malsirian Member JFF Member

Bacon makes everything better!

Tomato is awesome inside a grilled cheese!

I'm boring when it comes to hot dogs, I just like them loaded down with sauerkraut and spicy mustard. And a bratwurst instead of a hot dog. :)
    Chili dogs are good. Chili, onions, cheese, little mustard. mmm

9. complexmath

complexmath JFF Administrator Staff Member JFF Supporter

There are a ton of different ways to prepare hot dogs. One of my favorites is Carolina style, with chili, slaw, and onions. But you can really class it up if you want.

As for grilled cheese... a mix of cheeses, good bread with both sides browned in butter in a skillet, and possibly some tomato.

And personally, if a restaurant is conscious of food allergies, that's a huge selling point. Give some thought to producing the same menu items in a dairy or gluten-free manner and make this info prominent on the menu and you'll have a built-in clientele right there. It's generally pretty easy to do, but even here in the Bay Area it's unusual to find a restaurant where this has been considered, and when faced with the thought of spending 15 minutes asking questions the wait staff can't answer and ultimately ending up with a salad for dinner vs. not going out at all it's often easier to just not bother. Like dairy-free grilled cheese is trivial provided you have the cheese available and picked a bread without milk in it, but I challenge you to walk into a restaurant with grilled cheese on the menu and ask for one. Soy-free is most often an issue with marinades for meat, and gluten-free is the most tricky but probably also the most common.