Crash Tracker

SlipWraith

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
When the server crashes please put the error, time, and who was logged in into this thread.

cbonha01

JFF Member
not sure if it crashed or not, but I tried getting on at 10:00 AM EST, and it says it can't reach the server

cbonha01

JFF Member
Guessing either you got hit with a storm that knocked your power out...or the server crashed.......either way, tried getting on it at 9:45am (EST), and it can't reach the server......

cbonha01

JFF Member

I was the only one on....just placing wool for a building I am currently working on...this has happened twice tonight...any ideas?

SlipWraith

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
I am pretty sure that comcast is cutting my connection when some one joins the server. When some one joins the server my modem "online" light will start to blink. I have to unplug the modem and plug it back in to reset it then my connection works until some one else tries to join.

I'll see if I can't get a hold of them tomorrow unless some one has any ideas for resolving this. . ..

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Last I knew, Comcast has a "No server" policy unless you pay extra. So basically answering incoming connections is a no-no. Of course, that's the overly simplistic reply. But you get the idea. Maybe they've changed that, but that's what it used to be.

SlipWraith

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
Logged into the modem (Hadn't done that since I bought it) and below are the log snippets. Interweb search suggests problem on comcast end OR problem with the router. What's interesting is that every time I lose connection the time stamp is 1-1-1970 at midnight. . .

SlipWraith

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
1970-01-01 00:00:13 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
2012-12-23 17:45:36 3-Critical R004.0 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout
2012-12-23 17:45:36 3-Critical D001.0 DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
2012-12-23 17:38:59 3-Critical C206.0 DCC aborted unable to communicate on new upstream channel
2012-12-23 17:38:59 3-Critical R004.0 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout
2012-12-23 17:34:11 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
2012-12-23 17:33:58 3-Critical C206.0 DCC aborted unable to communicate on new upstream channel
2012-12-23 17:33:58 3-Critical R004.0 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout
2012-12-23 17:19:09 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
2012-12-23 17:18:55 3-Critical C206.0 DCC aborted unable to communicate on new upstream channel

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind, networking is probably one of my weakest areas, but...

Have you checked software/firmware updates for your router? The date stamp somewhat makes sense in that it sounds like the router is rebooting or re-initializing itself and that's the default timestamp until it makes a network connection and gets the time from the time server again.

cbonha01

JFF Member
hey, even though this is through another company, I found a link where a guy was having some similar problems, come to find out, they had a tech come out, and ended up replacing the ends of the cable, as well as the cable going from the home, to the box.....here's the link...maybe it'll direct you in the right way: http://mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/forum/index.php?topic=5723.0

or perhaps a better one...one that's actually with Comcast: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Frequent-disconnects-any-ideas/td-p/805258

Last edited:

SlipWraith

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
All makes sense. I checked the comcast subscriber forums and the things are covered with people having this issue. The logs I"m getting match exactly with others logs.

Unfortunately I have some stuff working against me.

1. It is an older modem (Although fully supported by comcast)
2. Comcast does not allow firmware updates unless they push them (There is physically no way to update it)
3. I'm in a rental and I have no control over the in-wall stuff

When I got the cable hooked up last march they said they checked the wiring and I was good to go. It goes from a local node to a box outside my house. In the box each room has it's own connector including a dedicated line to the modem cable (where I have it hooked up). From the wall it goes straight to the modem. There is no splitter other than the comcast one outside my home. I will call them Wed and see if there is anything that can be done. My guess is they are going to tell me to go buy a new modem for $80 and call back if the problem persists...

Trekkan

JFF Administrator
Staff member
Sounds about right for Comcast.... I did have some problems that just started out of nowhere with some disconnects. The Comcast dude came out and couldn't really find much. But he checked the outlet in the wall and said that it wasn't giving a very good signal and thought he should replace it just to be sure. He replaced the little nub thing on the wall and... I've never had a problem with it since.

Also, I did go out and buy my own cable modem as well. That way I could control the updates and since I was renting the modem before, I figured I might as well own it instead. No idea if that's an option for you, but since I got rid of their shitty modem and the dude fixed the wall thing... no problems. The new modem seemed to help with transfer rates as well.

SlipWraith

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
I own the router, I didn't have a chance to call today but the internet hasn't gone down once so the traffic theory wins in my mind. I do plan on buying a new modem as the one I have is docsis2 and not 3.