ADSL Modem/Router

Oxnar

JFF Member
Hi all, I am looking to drop my Frontier provided Netgear 7550 modem/ router for a commercial ADSL unit the lends itself to MMORPG gaming (if there is such a thing?).
Normal usage around my home at any one time could be at least 1/2 users watching Netflix and 3/4 users on phones streaming video/ music, maybe one smart TV going, or Facebook videos over WiFi. Then there is me trying to play some MMORPG on a wired connection.
What you need to know about my connection is it is poor, very poor from Frontier. (I live back in the sticks/ rural area) My down speed is 1.5 and up is .5. A Frontier tech told me once that they only have 3M at the DSLAM?
I have talked to the IT guys here at work but they don't game and you need a engineering degree to to understand what they are saying.
I would like buy a modem/router with a very easy to use QoS and 2.4Ghz +5Ghz/N

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Ox

panzerghost

JFF Member
JFF Supporter
At those download speeds I don't know how much benefit you'll gain from a so called "gaming" router that gives priority traffic. I don't personally know of any DSL Router/Modem combos. You may be better off getting any nice router and using your current modem in a bridged mode.

Oxnar

JFF Member
So after some digging I have settled on this. It cost a bit more than I had planed but features everything I was looking for.
The biggest thing for me is the QoS wizard b/c this is where I can help myself the most (I believe?).

Thanks for the help,
Ox